The Dark Night's Heath Ledger For Oscar's Best Picture?

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Is it possible for Batman to win the Oscar's best picture?

According to AP, "The Dark Knight" has emerged as a solid contender for best picture and best director. An Oscars sweep may be in the cards for both the film and Heath Ledger's Joker.

As stated by Christian Bale on Wednesday night at a cocktail reception for the filmmakers and critics. "Far be it for me to try and predict, and I think that anybody looks like a (jerk) if you really try to predict what people are going to vote for. But certainly, for me, I think that the serious contenders in this movie in my mind are Heath, Chris for director because he's done an extraordinary job, and I do believe best picture, as well,"

"It's an important movie sociologically. I feel like in this day and age, with terrorism and with the cancers of the city and people trying to find a voice within their own city, this is an important film. But it's a Batman film, so it has that going for it. It has that going against it," said Aaron Eckhart, co-star in the movie.

Ledger, who died in January of an accidental prescription drug overdose, is considered a likely supporting-actor nominee for his diabolical performance as Batman nemesis the Joker. Oscar nominations come out Jan. 22, the one-year anniversary of Ledger's death.